Question5 Campus Situation Topic: Problem/Solution
The listening passage (60-90 sec; 180-220 words) is a conversation about a student-related problem and two possible solutions.
The question asks the test taker to demonstrate understanding of the problem and to express an opinion about solving the problem.
o Preparation time: 20 sec
o Response time: 60 sec
1、时间冲突: Time Conflict
a. Problem of a time conflict between a and b
Work (part-time job) vs. Study (for a… test/exam)
Play (visit/tour) vs. Study (for a… test/exam)
b. Preference: ____=a balanced solution (既a又b)
I think the man/woman should____(preference) because finding a balanced solution is the best way for him/her to do (a) and in the meantime/at the same time, do (b). In the process, the man/woman can acquire an ability of doing time management, which does good to his/her future since only being efficient can he/she become more competitive when he/she is hunting for a job in the future.
Back-up: comparative advantage/ make a well-organized plan/ make a tight schedule)
2、左右为难: Dilemma Choice
a. Problem of a dilemma choice (of____) between a and b
1) internship/job: 两个行业
2) play (academic trip) vs. play (tour, visit=family-beach)
1) ____=what makes him/her happy or what he/she is really interested in.
2) ____=academic trip
1) because doing things that make him/her really interested in will offer him/her greatest passion. So the man/woman will devote/dedicate more time to it to make more contributions. Only in that way, can he/she have the greatest personal satisfaction. (According to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs)
2) because it is good to be on his/her study record with the practical research experience. Gathering an experience like this is also helpful to his/her future when he/she is looking for a job. For the reunion with his/her family, there are more chances in the next time. So he/she should grasp/seize this great opportunity.
a. Problem that he/she cannot choose/take/register/sign up for___=course because it is already full/filled up.
b. Preference: talking to the instructor
c. Reason: because it is the fastest way to solve the problem. Through the conversation with the instructor, the man/woman has a chance to convince the person with his/her strong will to study for the course and passion for devotion/dedication to it. After that, the instructor may let him/her in.
a. Problem: She/He has a problem that she/he has an emergency on___. / she/he has trouble with___.
b. Preference: talking to the person who is in charge
c. Reason: because it is the most efficient way to solve the problem. By talking to the person who is in charge, the woman/man will have the direct chance to explain the situation and find the fastest way out of the trouble. After all, solving the problem is the first thing she/he needs to worry about.
4. 室友问题 (Roommate Issue)
a. Too noisy and loud
b. Borrow the money and never pay back
c. Take away your goods without informing you
2) Preference: talking to him/her
3) Reason: because talking to him/her will explain the problem face to face. Through this communication, the man/woman can tell the roommate about what he/she is thinking in the mind. It is also good to wipe out the troubles without hurting anybody. Besides, the man/woman can improve the social skills.
1、（头）In the dialogue, the man/woman talks about the problem of/about____ (名词性短语)/that________(从句).
2、（过渡）And the woman/man gives him/her the following suggestions.
First of all, he/she should______
Second, he/she should_______
4、（Preference and Reasons)
I think, the man/woman should_____(自己的建议); it is better for the man/woman to______(自己的建议) for the following reasons.
First of all,______(解释原因1)
5、（总结）Based on the above reasons, I strongly recommend/suggest the man/woman take the advice.a