原文已被隐藏,你可用 快捷键 - 或点击 显示原文 按钮来查看原文
第1段
1 .<-NARRATOR:->Listen to a conversation between a student and her economics professor.
旁白:请听一位学生和她的经济学教授之间的对话。
第2段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->Excellent presentation you made at the end of class yesterday!
教授:你昨天在下课之前做的课堂演讲太棒了。
第3段
1 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->[surprised—this is not the topic she came to discuss] Oh, thanks!
学生:哦,谢谢。
第4段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->I'm so glad you volunteered to present first.
教授:我很高兴你自愿第一个演讲。
2 .Starting out by [little more slowly] outlining what you were going to say, then, at the end, summarizing the key points—it was a very effective way of getting your points across.
开头概述了你要讲的内容,然后在最后总结了关键点,这是让别人理解你的观点的一个很有效的方法。
第5段
1 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->I'm glad you think so.
学生:你能这么认为太好了。
2 .I was afraid it might come across as...too formal.
我还担心会让人感觉太正式了呢。
第6段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->Not at all.
教授:一点也不会。
2 .In fact, I think it's a great approach, in general, for these presentations, so I hope the others were taking note.
事实上,一般对这些演讲来说,我觉得这是个很棒的方法,所以我希望其他学生注意到了这一点。
3 .And the economic model you discussed—build-operate-transfer—I think everyone was quite interested.
而且你讨论的那个经济模式:建设-经营-移交(BOT),我觉得大家对此都相当感兴趣。
第7段
1 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->Yeah, it makes so much sense.
学生:是的,它有着很大的意义。
2 .If governments allow private companies to build public works, like a power plant, and then operate it for a decade or two before transferring ownership to the government, everyone benefits.
如果政府允许私营公司建造公共工程,比如发电厂,然后在把所有权移交给政府前让这些公司运营十几二十年的话,每个人都受益。
第8段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->Yes, the private companies make a profit, the public gets a needed infrastructure.
教授:是啊,私营公司获得了利润,公众得到了必要的基础设施。
第9段
1 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->And all without the government having to spend any money up front. Which is amazing.
学生:而且这一切政府都不用提前支出任何费用,太了不起了。
第10段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->Right.
教授:没错。
第11段
1 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->Anyway... as I said in my presentation, this model's being used in Turkey right now, and you said, when you handed out that brochure in class last week—about the university's Global Enrichment Initiative, you said one of the countries involved in that is Turkey.
学生:就像我在演讲中已经说过的,土耳其现在正在使用这种模式,而且你上周分发的册子时说过......关于学校的全球充实倡议,你说过那个倡议中包含的其中一个国家就是土耳其。
第12段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->Yes, that's right.
教授:是的,没错。
2 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->[throughout, eliciting information to help her decide whether to apply] So, I wanted to see if there's a chance...uh, the university sends fifteen students overseas to study?
学生:所以我想看看有没有机会......学校会送15名学生出国学习?
第13段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->Fifteen students per country—fifteen for Turkey, fifteen for Brazil, fifteen for Russia...
教授:每个国家15个人,派去土耳其15个,巴西15个,俄罗斯15个。
2 .We've got a total of six countries participating next summer.
我们明年夏天总共有6个国家参与。
第14段
1 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->[encouraged] Oh!
学生:哦!
第15段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->Yeah, and you spend six weeks in whichever country you're selected for.
教授:是的,然后你要在你被派去的无论哪个国家待6个星期。
2 .The classroom component consists of seminars on that country's culture, politics, and economy.
课堂内容包括关于那个国家的文化、政治和经济的研讨会。
3 .Most sessions are taught in English by local professors, but two of our faculty accompany each group and also give seminars.
大部分的讲习会都是由当地教授用英语讲授,不过我们教职人员中会各有两名跟着每个小组,并且也会开讲习会。
4 .I'll be going to Brazil to teach a seminar on coffee next summer.
我明年夏天会去巴西教一个关于咖啡的研讨会。
第16段
1 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->[puzzled] But [beat] you're an economist!
学生:但你是一位经济学家啊。
第17段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->Coffee's played a central role in Brazil's economic development for over 200 years.
教授:咖啡过去200多年里在巴西的经济发展发面发挥了核心作用。
2 .About a third of the coffee consumed worldwide is produced in Brazil.
全球消费的咖啡中有三分之一是在巴西生产的。
第18段
1 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->Oh, I had no idea.
学生:哦,我都不知道。
2 .Hmm. So, if I applied... I mean, can students pick the country they wanna go to?
那......如果我申请的话,我想知道,学生能选择他们想去的国家吗?
3 .Cause if I could go to Turkey...
因为如果我能去土耳其......
第19段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->Well, the primary goal of the Global Enrichment Initiative is simply cultural exchange...[explaining further] so students who've never been overseas before can broaden their perspective.
教授:这个全球充实倡议的首要目标就是为了文化交流,所以以前从没出过国的学生可以扩展他们的视野。
2 .This is why, on the application, you're asked to indicate your first-, second-, and third-choice countries.
这就是在申请表上你被要求填上你第一想去的国家、第二想去的和第三想去的国家的原因了。
第20段
1 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->[thinking she might be forced to accept a country other than Turkey] I'm only interested in Turkey, though.
学生:不过我只对土耳其感兴趣。
2 .I'm studying both Turkish and Turkish history this term.
我这个学期既在学土耳其语,也在学土耳其历史。
第21段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->[neutral] I see.
教授:我知道了。
第22段
1 .<-FEMALE STUDENT:->[worried] And, maybe I could learn more about how they're implementing the build-operate-transfer model there.
学生:而且也许我在那儿能学到更多实施BOT模式的内容。
2 .Plus, I wouldn't wanna take a spot away from someone who really wanted to go to one of the other countries.
另外我也不想从那些真正想去剩下的国家的人那里抢走他们的名额。
第23段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:->[reluctantly] Well, I guess you could leave the second and third choices blank...
教授:这样的话,我想你可以把第二和第三选择空着啊。