原文已被隐藏,你可用 快捷键 - 或点击 显示原文 按钮来查看原文
第1段
1 .<-NARRATOR:-> Listen to part of a lecture from a psychology class.
请听心理学课上的部分内容。
第2段
1 .<-MALE PROFESSOR:-> So, I have a personal example.
关于这个话题,我个人就是个例子。
2 .Some years back, my wife and I were looking for a house to buy.
前些年,我的妻子和我在找一个想买的房子。
3 .We found this great old house out in the country.
我们在乡下找到了这么一个很棒的老房子。
4 .But my wife had her doubts about it: she noticed the house wasn't in very good condition¡ªit was a little run-down and probably needed some repairs.
但是我的妻子对这个房子心有疑虑。她发现这个房子的状况不是很好。有点破旧,可能还需要进行一些修缮。
5 .But I really fell in love with the architecture of the house...
可是,我非常喜欢这个房子的建筑风格,
6 .the unusual way it was designed and built.
那种不同寻常的设计和建造方法,
7 .So I convinced my wife that we could hire people to fix it up and, you know... make the house nice.
所以我说服了我的妻子,告诉她我们可以请人把房子修好,让它看起来很棒。
8 .We decided to buy it and live there after the repairs were finished.
我们决定买下这个房子,在修缮完工之后搬进去。
第3段
1 .Well, the workers we hired to repair the house soon discovered things were worse than I'd thought.
可是,我们请来修房子的工人很快就发现,情况比我想象的糟多了。
2 .It turned out that the roof was damaged and needed expensive repairs.
原来房顶严重受损,需要花很多钱修补。
3 .After the roof was repaired, the workers discovered the house had electrical problems . . . most of the wiring was bad and would have to be replaced,
房顶修好之后,工人们又发现这个房子的电路有问题。房顶修好之后,工人们又发现这个房子的电路有问题。大部分电线都是坏的,
4 .at a huge cost.
需要花巨大一笔钱把它们全部更换。
5 .Well, at this point, my wife reminded me of her earlier doubts about the house and
这时候,我妻子提醒了我她先前对这个房子的顾虑,
6 .wondered if we could ever get it in good shape.
并怀疑我们究竟能不能把它修好。
7 .But I just became more determined than ever.
但是我的决心比任何时候都要坚定。
8 .I paid for all the wiring to be replaced by an electrician.
我付钱请了一个电工把所有的电线都换掉了。
9 .But it gets worse...
然而情况更糟了。
10 .the electrician noticed that insects had eaten into some of the walls...
电工注意到昆虫已经啃噬了一些墙,
11 .and they would also have to be torn out and replaced.
这些墙也要拆掉换新的。
12 .This was going to be more expensive than all the other repairs,
这笔费用会比所有其他的维修都贵。
13 .but by this point
但是到了这个份上,
14 .I felt determined to keep going.
我反而更下定决心要继续下去。
15 .I kept thinking...I have to do it...
我不断在想:"我必须这么做,
16 .if I stop now,
如果现在喊停的话,
17 .my wife will think I was wrong for not following her advice.
我的妻子将会觉得我没有听从她的建议果然是错的。"